Tail filament in C.e.popei

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Thought I'd pursue the tail filament topic as a separate thread from Aaron's on differences between C.e.e and C.e.p.

I've only been able to spot a single male out of my 30+ adult C.e.popei with a filament at the end of its tail as seen in some, if not all, Cynops pyrrhogaster subspecies/races, while I have several C.e.ensicauda males with both tail filaments AND sheens (though no sheens at all among the C.e.p males).

Does anybody keeping popei notice any with tail filaments? If not, then I'm wondering what's up here with this male and whether the presence or absence of a filament in popei has any particular significance...

By the way, the pic I posted before didn't show to which newt the "filamented" tail was attached to, so these are to show that the newt in question with the questionable tail is unquestionably popei
lol.gif

1995.jpg

1996.jpg

1997.jpg

Hi Leo. I'm still too much of a novice to be able to tell anything for sure, but from what I know only males develop tail filaments. Plus, this newt's cloaca shape seemed to me to indicate it was a male. Plus, if my memory serves me right, I spotted the filament while it was courting a female.
happy.gif

Hi Tim, on the top closeup, that looks much more like a damaged tail in the process of regrowth than an actual tail filament. Give it some time and see what happens
wink.gif

Hy together,

C.e.popei normaly don't have a tail filament. Only one of my males has a hint of filament. But he already had it when he was juvenil.

Paul

could this be a kind of tail filament?
the "owner" of this tail is my adult male (I think it'a a male because he has short tail and large cloaca)

2259.jpg

I post also a pic of an adult female's tail

2260.jpg

bye
Leo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back