Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Breeding/sexing cynops

W

waldo

<font color="0000ff">I have 4 C.firebellies and was wondering how to tell the sexes apart?Are they hard to breed?they are in a 15 gal all water tank with lots of plants and cover,do I need to do anything special for them to breed or will nature take its course also what do I look for, ei:eggs.Thanks for any advice.</font>

K

kai

Hi Waldo,

Sexually active males are easily recognised by their greatly swollen cloacal region. Once you see females responding with interest to courting males you can start to look out for eggs.

A colder period in winter certainly helps to get things going. You're in NZ, right? It may take a while for WC newts to get used to the southern latitudes...

Best wishes,
kai

R

richardh

When the male orientalis is about to breed it has a slight filament at the end of the tale and is very slightly a more bluish sheen altough neither of these attributes is as differentiated I believe as in Cynops.p which I have observed in breeding condition in other collections(Auckland Zoo)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!