Paramesotriton X

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
Fascinated with this one too, but it's also a mystery...

1851.jpg

1852.jpg

So much for my P.x theory then!
lol.gif

I suspected as much as it looked quite similar to one of the five I bought as chinensis, though with different belly coloration and a bit greener (though I wasn't happy with the first pic as the light made it appear too green)

Here is another of the same one:

1862.jpg

And here is the one I said it looked like:

1863.jpg

And here are the others for comparison:

1864.jpg

hahaha...yep, it's pretty striking and totally unlike the Paramesotriton I'd seen here on sale here in Japan before.

But I recall Mark saying chinensis, along with guanxiensis, shows up most frequently in U.S. stores. Here it seems to be guanxiensis and various others (incl. hongkongensis) that almost invariably have brown backs, and are not mottled.

Referring to again to remarks attributed to Henri Janssens, the underside of the tail of P. chinensis has an unbroken red/orange line (just like in the pic above!)
happy.gif
while the orange line in the case of P.fuzhongensis is sometimes broken up by the brown coloration.

And according to Frank Pasmans, P. chinensis has a more faint grey-brown coloration (when not stressed) than P. fuzhongensis, and "typical for this species are some scattered yellow dots on the lateral side and at the attachment points of the limbs. The warts are like little knobbles and not pointed."

Indeed, these yellow dots at the attachment points are really prominent on the individual in the first two pics (and I'm tempted to rush home and check the others!)

The summary of Pasman's remarks (for anybody who missed them the last time I reposted them from the Urodela newsletter) goes on to say P. fuzhongensis "have a darker brown coloration, and their warts are more sharply pointed. They lack the yellow dots."

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back