Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Pachytriton A with webbed feet?

K

kyle

I was just curious if anyone else has seen or has a Pachytriton A or, Pachytriton for that matter, that has webbed feet? Mine has almost completeled webbed feet..He BARELY has any toes/fingers at all, about 98% of his foot is a solid web. I was just curious if anyone else has seen this.

-Kyle

N

nate

Yes, I've seen that too, it practically looks like a Bolitoglossa foot.

K

kai

Yup. Most Pachytriton sp.A (and labiatus) seem to have stubby but distinct fingers though (cp. http://www.agurodela.de/arten/taxonomie_biologie_pachytriton.php).

BTW, I received a Pachytriton with obviously regenerated forelimb (from someone who bought "firebellies" which happened to be male pachys...
sad.gif
). The limb is much weaker (hardly functional) and has less fingers than normal (no changes apparent after 2 years). Is incomplete/faulty regeneration unusual with Pachytriton? (I would have expected them to be even better at regeneration but I've been wrong before.)

Best wishes,
kai

andrew

Reaction score
Are you sure that his leg had been cut off? he might have just been born like that.(my axolotl was). And if it had been cut off shouldnt the leg grow back normall?

K

kai

Hi Kei,

Yup, Pachy something.
happy.gif

Pachytriton are hard to tell apart (and it's pretty certain that C is not the last undescribed taxon), especially if you don't have them right in front of you.

The first pics are too bad, the second one *might* be sp.B but don't quote me on that - just guessing.

Best wishes,
kai

K

kai

Hi Andrew,

It certainly could be a "early defect" but this is usually pretty rare compared to later accidents (especially in wild caught animals - CB Axolotls can more easily survive with handicaps). Since Pachys can be especially agressive, I guess it's pretty likely that the leg was torn off.

Since only a single leg is affected I'm pretty sure that it's not due to a genetic defect. So if the development of a leg can be compromised by some factor in larval caudates, I see no reason why it should be unpossible to mess up limb regeneration, too. It sems to be rare - that's why I'm asking for more observations. What size was your axolotl when you first saw the defective leg?

Best wishes,
kai

andrew

Reaction score
Have you seen my pictures? its called 'my axolotls (please tell me if you cant see them'. He is exactly the same size now.(i have only had him for a few weeks/months)

K

kai

Hi Andrew,

I haven't seen your pic - URL?

So how do you know your axy was "born" like this?

Matt, left foreleg if you ask re: my Pachytriton.

Best wishes,
kai

andrew

Reaction score
Its on this web page, just click on 'Topics' to the right of your screen then choose 'Photo Gallerie' and scroll down and look for 'my axolotls (please tell me if you cannot see them)'

M

matt

No I meant which leg does Andrews axy have a problem with cause I cant really tell if he even has a problem with his leg

K

kai

Andrew, you mean the shorter (and paler) one? I can't ascertain any leg problems from your pics, too.

However, I guess it may have an genetic defect (looks pretty similar to some fish mutants), so better don't breed with this individual.

Best wishes,
kai

andrew

Reaction score
yeh i know its on the other side ON EVERY PIC!! haha. yeh all of them were wierd looking thats why i assumed the mum and dad were brother and sister.

M

matt

oh ok is he walking any better or do you think it will just stay like that

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1