Salamandra atra? huh?

D

dane

so I just saw a for sale for Salamandra atras and I was wondering about them

I've never heard of them, so I googled them and it was what looked like just an all black form of fire salamander

Is this a true seperate fire salamander?

Im not so sure what to ask about them so just shoot out info about them at me that you may know,

thanks much

It is incredible they are on sale as they are highly protected in Europe in all countries where they occur. Where did you see the ad? Are there papers with them? If not, I doubt if they are legal.

Hello Serge,

i was shocked when I saw it on kingsnake.com . As they came over Texas there are already some suspicious persons but nothing is proven. I think it is very sad that this species gets caught, as they reproduce very slowly (for all salamandra-newbies: S. atra only gives birth to 2 juveniles every 2-3 years!).

I hope this was the last shipping of WC animals ...

Best Greetings,

Kamil

These S. atra are WC adults..no doubt. I do not know if there are others who imported as well...but the person in TX selling them only has a few pairs. Nothing like the 200 plus pairs of N. kaiseri that have just landed here.

One can only hope they fall into the hands of responsible keepers that will breed them. At $500 per pair for S. atra, surely only the most dedicated will acquire them.

Travis

Well, the best thing would be if nobody buys them and the animals die. That is too bad for the animals, but then the dealers hopefully learn there they can better start earning money with something different.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back