Feeding Response Paper

M

mark

Biology of Amphibians,Duellman + Trueb, Page 231
"For example, in order to elicit maximal prey catching behaviour by Salamandra salamandra, it seems that stimuli of certain orientation must move at certain velocity and in a certain manner (Luthardt and G. Roth, 1979).

This is an old paper but it sounds interesting. I'd like to know what tests they did and the results. Anyone read it or have a copy or know where it could be obtained?

Mark
If you are willing to be patient, I may be able to get a copy from our library as it was published in Copeia.

Ed

Gad Degani in Israel did much more experiments with feeding after this publication. I don't remember exactly where it is published, but for sure in his thesis which was on sale some years ago.
He found out that when juveniles in the first weeks after metamorphosis are fed with fast running food they will fix on that and will ignore earth worms. It however also works the other way round. Therefor my conclusion was that it is important to give a variety of slow and fast moving food in these first weeks to make sure your animals will get used to all the types you want to feed.

Serge....That is really interesting info which I will use with my salamandra. If you come across a copy of that paper, will you let me know?

It would also explain why my recently bought marmoratus are very slow eaters, they basically only open their mouths. At first, even a waxworms was too fast for them. I feed my juvies both fast and slow food now.

Years ago, when I kept Salamandra, I had some "cricket eaters" and some "worm eaters"... I guess that explains things! I don't know if the same behavior translates to other species, but it's interesting to keep in mind when raising juveniles...

All 6 of my Salamandra basically ignore earthworms. I never knew why until now.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back