Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Fire Salamanders that bite, please help

L

lewis

Hi there, I hope you can help. I have quite a few Fire Salamanders, some Terrestris but a majority are Bernadezi's. Originally they were in two fairly large tanks, one with one type in and another with the other. I noticed fairly quickly that they regularly go for each other, especially when I feed them. I have now divided them all in groups of 2 in seperate tanks but some of them are still at it. To date they haven't caused any real damage to one anouther, but is this normal behaviour as I haven't read about it anywhere?!

mike

Reaction score
Hi Lewis,
It's normal behaviour for Salamandra to interact with each other especially when there is food around.

They don't in my experience damage each other, but an individual can be intimidated by a fellow inmate to such a degree that it is put off feeding.

Should this be the case separate it from the crowd for a few weeks, taking special care to insure that it is feeding well.

After this brief respite it is normally up to the task of integrating with it's former neighbours without any further problems.

S

samuel

my smallest tiger is like that at feeding time-thinks he can take ANYTHING and bites the other threes faces!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1