Greek salamanders

D

daniel

Anybody could tell me what is the average size of the Peleon (Greek) "werneri" salamanders, the variation of the species in southern balkanic area, the viviparous populations,etc.?
has S. salamandra salamandra populations with red spots outside Greece? and has Gigliolii ventral red spots? and terrestris?
Any information about northwestern anatolian salamanders? (not the kurdistan, northeastern ones)
Thank you in advantage
Daniel.

Hello Daniel,

many questions; Balkan situation is far from complete, a lot of work still to be done. See Thiesemeier in his chapter in the german Handbook series or in his own work.
Gigliolli has red ventral coloration, but that is a different kind of red when compared with gallaica or morenica. Terrestris from border France-Italy can have red spots like in gallaica...
The northwestern anatolian Salamandra are seen as non existing as there is no good proof nor has there been recent indications that they could occur there (more or less like on Sicily where also still is no actual proof that Salamandra is found there..see the new Italian atlas).

All the ebst,

sergé

Thank you for your answer

yes I checked Thiesemeier book...
Have you any knowledge about average sizes in Werneri poulations? Are more salamandra nominal forms reddish?
May be you know it already I´ve included you in acknowledgements in a publication about algira larvae as a petition of your friend David Donaire

See you, Daniel.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back