Uncommonly coloured terrestris

J

juraj

I saw these monsters in Gersfeld. It`s hard to believe that this is terrestris.
45480.jpg

45481.jpg

Doesn't that 2nd one have a rather short tail for a terrestris?
Very special animals!

did you get them? they are like gigliolii, but unlike them at the same time....

Very beautiful animals Juraj. Hope that they're living with you now

Awesome animal! I've never seen this kind of pattern. I would say that reminds me the salamanders from Liguria in northern Italy ( gigliolii )

I also saw them in Gersfeld. The origin of those should be Northern Germany. Hard to believe!
Paul

I also have strong doubts about what this is. I saw them too and their shape just doens't fit a typical german terrestris. Their morphological shape is very much gigliolii. I don't know the keeper and therefor can't tell if he is a reliable person, but but perhaps it is a result of a cross breed? I guess the keeper won't admit it if it is.

it's a possibilty, if anything the patterning reminds me of that species...

I saw a lot of Salamandra corsica on Corse in the spring this year, but these animals do not remind me of that species. The headshape is different (more broad in real corsica to my opinion). I've sever seen this pattern, too.
The morphology also reminds me of gigliolii, but the pattern is strange... so it could well be a cross breed.

I can tell you it's definitely not a gigliolii. Yes probably a cross breed then

The pattern reminds me of Ambystoma mavortium diaboli patterns... weird.

I agree with Wouter, surely no full S. corsica, but if something is mixed you will never know what it ends up like.
As S. corsica's are pretty rare in captivity and gigliolii is still once in a while available it could be something like that.
But as said before; if the breeder him/herself says it comes out of a terrestris population...it is his word against ours.

Perhaps somebody was challenged enough to buy some of the offspring and we can see in a few years...
These offspring had apparently this 'morph' in it's genes (that's the way you sell people, telling it has it in it's genes and you pay a lot of money for something that looks like an ordinary terrestris...).
That's why I personally don't like all these colour morphs....just the typical pure and natural subspecies form certain area are wild enough for me and are sometimes even more brilliant than this creature!
biggrin.gif

hi. i ve seen you often mention salamandras from liguria. i am italian, but i have never seen special salamandras in liguria. I would go to search coloured animals, can you help me on places on liguria? thanks a lot
Ema

Hey, Salamandra is not rare in Liguria as far as I can tell. I went there once and just looked for a nice forest with a slow flowing stream..like all pictures presented on other places in this website. The animals I have seen from Liguria were slender built, with red coloration in their throats.

Hi,

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>Sergé Bogaerts wrote on Monday, 24 October, 2005 - 15:53 :</font>

"Perhaps somebody was challenged enough to buy some of the offspring and we can see in a few years...
These offspring had apparently this 'morph' in it's genes"
<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>

I took a photo of one of them in Gersfeld, though I was possible to resist buying them
smile6.gif

46546.jpg

In the natural habitat in our area I often find strangely coloured terrestris, but not that much different than the "Gersfeld-monsters" ...
wink.gif

46547.jpg

I hate the Dutch law by seeing this wonderful animals....I hope that this species once will be legal over here.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back