Hybrids

justin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Display Name
justin slate
Are most species of fire salamanders capable of breeding with one another? It seems like their range is so wide that they would often come into contact with one another.

I was also curious due to the fact that many vendors simply advertise this species as S. salamandra. So when purchasing from someone other than a private breeder (god forbid!
happy.gif
how do you really know what you're getting?

Thanks.

You never can tell. And even with private breeders it is a matter of trust. But lucky most people will try to breed them pure as gladly most people are not interested in hybrids. The natural beauty of Salamandra is excellent enough!!
Hopefully the sick hybrid hype which occurs in snakes and terrapins will never pass on to salamanders.

In addition to being able to hybridize, another thing to keep in mind is that Salamandra females can produce fertile offspring for months or even years after being with a male. So even briefly housing two different subspecies together could result in hybrid offspring much later.

I hope you aren't buying from those "vendors". Given time, you can obtain CB Salamandra, and the juveniles are not difficult to care for.

No, I haven't purchased any yet, but was curious due to all the subspecies this group contains. Seems like it would be hard to distinguish them, but then again I've never had any direct experience with any of them.

Most of the time when I purchase or collect a particular species I try to get males and females from two different sources. I'm not sure if this helps produce better offspring and avoid potential genetic defects or not, but I personally feel better about it...Just a personal thing.

That's the primary reason for my asking.

Thank you all.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back