Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Which sub species

M

mark

im just researching before i dive in and buy some,is there any sub species that i should avoid as a first time keeper,and what would be the easiest to breed,also should i get a pair from one dealer or two different breeders to ensure different bloodlines and finally should i stick at a pair or get a trio 1m 2f thanks
mark

S

sergé

Start with the easier subspecies like salamandra, terrestris or gallaica. Those are the most hardy ones. And I would always get CB's and not take animals from a trader as you never know what disease they might have. Besides that...a breeder will give you some good advice as he knows how to keep them (in contrary to the trader who only knows how to sell them....).

A

alan

And of course, there are some excellent UK breeders you can contact via this site who will set you up.

M

mark

thank serge and alan , i will get captive bred animals thanks for the hints serge they have helped narrow down my choices and alan i believe im in contact with one such breeder so wont be long now just get the housing set up and hopefully get some nice specimens.
mark

I

ingo

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>mark frain wrote on Monday, 26 September, 2005 - 20:43 :</font>

"and finally should i stick at a pair or get a trio 1m 2f "<!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>
I would raise a group of 4 or 5 juveniles (CB 2005) - the sex can not be told at that stage of development, so with a group it´s more likely to have both sexes.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1