Firesalamander who likes a regular bath

E

ester

Has anyone else seen this behaviour in fire salamanders (Salamandra s.t.)?

One of my 2 year olds likes jump into its water bowl, swim to the other side and crawl out again on a regular basis (like at least once a day). The water area is also its favourite spot to take a dump (either near it or in it).

*grin* I'm kinda hoping it's a she, and that she's practicing for the real thing once she's bigger
happy.gif

Hi Ester,

No I haven't seen this behaviour in Salamandra, purely because I do not provide standing water in their terrariums.

I personally would not provide a water bowl that is deep enough for your salamanders to swim in, as they do drown very easily. I have even seen adults drowned in just 2 centimeters of water!

i have not encountered such behavior with my fire "spankie" but it does have a certain fondness with the water bowl. It used head straight into the water bowl and crawl around after every meal. And now, periodically, it would hang around the water bowl either to take a dump or to pee....

Hello Esther, hello Mike,

Though I have not enough water to swim in the tank of my juvenile S.s.t., I have already seen Fire Salamanders swim freely in a brook in the wild. For this, I can´t really imagine, that it´s possible for an adult Salamandra salamandra to drown in 2 cm of standing water...

36780.jpg

She had crossed the brook so fastly, I could hardly take photos...

36781.jpg

Even if the water looks shallow on the photos, it´s indeed about 30 cm deep in the middle.

However, even if Fire Salamanders can swim, I haven´t seen any swim for their "pleasure"; these were all females dropping their larvae.

(Message edited by Inshi on May 25, 2005)

Hello Ingo,

I too have seen Fire Salamanders swim in deep water in their natural habitat, and survive.
I have also seen Salamandra drowned in the wild.

What I can say with certainty is that in 40 plus years of keeping and breeding them in captivity I have never lost an animal through drowning, because I don't give them the opportunity.
wink.gif

Hello Mike,

I see the point in your argumentation
wink.gif

- security first.
I also agree with you, that especially in juvenile Salamanders it really doesn´t make any sense to give them a water bowl.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back