Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

The seasons & breeding in European land salamanders

M

matthew

Doing the rounds today in my garage I was struck by how unsuccessful I have been in - say - the last three years breeding some of my (very healthy) fire salamanders. I have had some successes, e.g. terrestris...but... if I think about my Ukrainian S. salamandra, for instance, they are always plump and I am permanently expecting good news...
sad.gif

Why does a year's seasonal temp / light cycle enough for my terrestris but not my salamandra?
Is it to do with place of origin?
What else can I do?
Does anyone get this effect?
Thanks for any responses or help...

S

sergé

Well, I think seasonal temperature change and light are important. Ukraine animals would however in nature have a few of hibernation. It could be that they need that as well. I had gallaica that were raised as larvae but still gave birth to larvae in autumn, which is normal in their natural habitat. So some genetic fixation seems also important.
Besides that: quality of food is very important as well. We don't know much about that, but in nature they for sure have a much wider diet and perhaps some things are lacking which are essential for reproduction. I have had some larvaes which were malformed or clutches of unfertilised eggs, although the animals look perfectly healthy.

C

chwan

Hi, nice to meet you ! Do you mind if you can help me for ID the sex of the fire salamander??? Thank You!

the photos as follow:
31299.jpg

(Message edited by chwan on February 22, 2005)

C

chwan

Hello Mike, nice to meet you!
happy.gif

Mike, do you mind to share some photo of the female cloaca ???
happy.gif

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
Hello Mike,

what makes you so sure, that this one is a male ?

Greetings Michael ...
31516.jpg

31517.jpg

I

ingo

Hello Mike,

I am also very interested in your method of sex-identification; which signs do you use?

Is it, in your opinion, possible to identify the sex according to the shape of the heads?

Greetings,

Ingo

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1