View Full Version : Bad eye

16th September 2004, 16:57
My 2 year old bernardezi has a white eye http://www.caudata.org/forum/clipart/cry.gif. Two days ago she seemed all right and I didn't notice anything wrong whit the eye. The other one is perfectly normal.
Could it be bacteria or fungi?

10th November 2004, 15:47
One of my S s gallaica got a white eye a few months back,I took her to the vets who gave me baytril, and some eye drops.
I was also advised to bathe the eye in lukewarm chamomile tea before using they drops.
The eye cleared up in just over a week.
Its thought that she got a bit of substrate in the eye which then became infected.

11th November 2004, 11:50
Thanks guys the salamander has completely recovered. A friend of mine told me to put a yellowish cream that people use and that did the job. I can't remember what it was made of but when I get home I'll check and let you know.

11th November 2004, 13:18
Possibly 'Golden Eye Ointment' Francesco.

In the UK it is used to treat bacterial eye infections.......active ingredient is Propamidine Isethionate.

Anyway I'm pleased that your fire salamander has made a full recovery. http://www.caudata.org/forum/clipart/smile6.gif

11th November 2004, 15:19
I think it's something similar... it's called "unguento di mercurio ossido giallo 2%" which means yellow mercury oxide 2% ointment. It contains yellow mercury oxide, paraffin oil and white vaseline. It's an antibacterial so I guess the problem was a bacterial infection.