Juvenile coloration of <i>Pachyhynobius</i>?

E

erik

I was wondering if anyone here has seen juvenile or larval Pachyhynobius? I imported some Pachyhynobius that have nice blue dots all over them and I am trying to decide if this is simply the immature color or maybe this is a new form.

I can't find anything in the literature about the color of juvenile or sub adult P.shangchengensis. I'll try to get pics up soon.

Here is one pic to get started. More to come.....

43536.jpg

These guys are VERY aggressive. Most came in with regenerated limbs and now most of them need to go through the process again. I have 7 small specimens separated into three 48" tanks and they are still tearing each others limbs off.

One with regenerated leg:
44054.jpg

44055.jpg

44056.jpg

As far as I know subadutls like these have these spots (I have seen it with people who first bought some), but they disappaer when they grow older. I think it is seen in many Hynobius species too. But I am no expert on these creatures.

Serg is correct in that a number of hynobiids (but not all) have temporary spots in the juvenile stage that are very much like that -- H. tokyoensis, H. nigrescens, H. takedai and H. lichenatus come immediately to mind -- but outside the Genus Hynobius, I don't know if such spots are present in juveniles of species in other genera of the Family Hynobiidae, like Batrachuperus and Ranodon. The markings seen in juveniles of the Genus Onychodactylus are somewhat different, at least in the case of O. japonicus.

Nice animal, Erik
biggrin.gif

Thanks Serge and Tim. I expect them to lose the spots and become 'regular' Pachyhynobius since they are all somewhat smaller than adult P.shangchengensis. I was intrigued though since they were said to have come from a different province and they seem to be a lot more aggressive than my other Pachyhynobius. Time will tell I guess.....

You guys were correct:A friend kindly translated the original description of Pachyhynobius.The paper mentions that "just mature" individuals have white spots that fade with age.

Hi HouMian. Welcome to the site. The more Chinese participants, the better. And I really envy your location
biggrin.gif

I have never heard of Hynobius yunanensis and it's not listed as a species in the lists of Chinese amphibian species that I've seen. Can you tell us more about it?

Hi Tim,if you envy my location why not come visit it?!haha...
About Hynobius yunanensis was appeared on ¡¶ACTA ZOOTAXONOMICA SINICA¡·in 2001,I only have Chinese edition, if you want and tell me your E-mail,I'll send it to you.This species only known distribution in southern Henan province.But I believe this species should remain with Patchyhynobius.
In next ¡¶ACTA ZOOTAXONOMICA SINICA¡·volume this year will apear a new Hynobius species named maoershanensis,it found in northern Guangxi province.I think this species maybe a new genus.

HouMain, very interesting info... I think you mean H. yunanicus instead of H. yunanensis. It is named that way at the amphibiaweb database and the online version of Frost.

I would be grateful if you could also send the description to me.

Yes ,it's my clerical error,sorry!Thank you Wouter!
Of course,if you want.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back