Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Hynobius boulengeri</i>

TJ

Reaction score
Here's one that I haven't posted pics of before:

21292.jpg

(kept by Mr. Okamoto)

This is reputed to be Japan's largest Hynobius, reaching 20cm in length.

(Message edited by TJ on May 27, 2005)

TJ

Reaction score
And here's a range map for this species:

21296.jpg

It's found the islands of Shikoku and Kyushu, as on the Kii Peninsula of Honshu Island.

TJ

Reaction score
It sure is
biggrin.gif

The purplish color, lack of dorsal patterning, and large size make it easily distinguishable from all other Japanese salamanders.

"The genus Pachypalaminus was originally erected for this species on the basis of its having a lacrimal bone in the skull, but it is now known that all Hynobius have a lacrimal bone, so there is no foundation for classifying it as anything other than Hynobius."

Source: Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Japan (Goris & Maeda 2004)

They are said in the book to often prey on a large species of earthworm that grows to 16 cm in length.

TJ

Reaction score
I had no idea the juvies got so dark!

Extraordinary
biggrin.gif

H

henk

In fact this one was reared as a larvae from eggs in Japan at temperatures of approx 20°C... which I found incredible for a streamtype animal.

P

paris

to me it looks like my tokyos -they have no pattern too....where is the difference im missing?

P

paris

well i dont have GOOD shots -just the junk ones i took when they came in....i think i was thinking of my black -not my tokyo that look like them-they are a plain colour and no spots. -they have gotten fatter but no real colour has developed -they seem to be slate coloured like those he has here-but i have not held them in the light to look at them good.-this is their old photo
24044.jpg

H

henk

Well on this picture they do look skinny ,which offcourse has to do with the import. My nigrescens are having some spots still present after 2 years of age : the first 3 (all blue) is as they were but 1 year, the 4rd darker image is pretty recent :
http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi-bin/img_query?where-namesoup=nigrescens&rel-namesoup=like&where-lifeform=Amphibian&where-photographer=any&rel-location=like&where-location=&where-continent=none&where-country=none&where-state=none&where-county=none&rel-kwid=equals&where-kwid=

Seems like you have adults, so mine will probably still darken up. But really the boulengeri is the giant among hynobius so you can not confuse them by their size.

TJ

Reaction score
Here's a new paper to keep an eye out for:

Biochemical phylogenetics and historical biogeography of Hynobius boulengeri and H. stejnegeri (Amphibian: Caudata) from the Kyushu region, Japan

By K. Nishikawa, M. Matsui and S. Tanabe.

Herpetologica. 61 (1):54-62. 2005.

TJ

Reaction score
Thanks, Paul.

Yeah, I love that luscious purple coloration. I reckon it'd taste like grape if eaten...
smile6.gif

That picture was taken last year at the Japan Salamander Center in Mie Prefecture -- one of the few photos that survived the demise of my external hard drive. Thought I'd better post it here before I lose it too!

P

pamela

Great pic Tim! That has to be the Neopolitan Mastiff of the newts!
happy.gif
Impressive animals. Thank you.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1