Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
3291.jpg

3292.jpg

3293.jpg

Hynobius okiensis (Oki Salamander)

These are from Dogo, one of the Oki Islands off Shimane Prefecture in western Honshu.

3295.jpg

3296.jpg

Hai Tim, all I've seen from this species so far are eggs and (semi) adults, it's nice to see some images of these juveniles.
How are they doing with you ? The adults are quite hardy but breeding is somewhat difficult. I once got an eegdeposition, but not anymore since 2 years. And even worse I lost one (of the 3) and I am not sure if I still have a male. I was able to obtain a new juvenile withm uch luck , which looked quite different in coloration (much yellow)
http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=1111+1111+1111+2094

Here are the eggs when they were deposited. The white ones are from okiensis , the black ones from leechii quelpartensis.
http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/cgi/img_query?enlarge=1111+1111+1111+0631
Unfortunatelly those eggs were in the tank that broke down now 3 years ago (in which I had eggs from retardatus & okiensis... which I all lost).

Henk, sorry I missed your question from 2 months ago
smile6.gif

Well, those aren't mine. The pics were shot at a pet shop. Good luck with breeding them!

Here is what Goris has to say about their reproduction:

23700.jpg

Source: Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Japan (Goris & Maeda 2004)

This species is now listed by the IUCN as "critically endangered".

Here's what the Global Amphibian Assessment has to say about it:

Scientific Name: Hynobius okiensis
Authority: Sato, 1940
English Common Name: Oki Salamander
Other Common Name: Oki Sanshouo (Japanese)
Red List Category: Critically Endangered (CR)
Red List Category Rationale: Listed as Critically Endangered because its Area of Occupancy is less than 10 km2, all individuals are in a single location, and there is continuing decline in the extent and quality of its habitat on Oki Island.
Date of Assessment: 08 Apr 2004
Population Trend: Decreasing
Range Comments: This species is endemic to Japan, being confined to the Oki Islands in Shimane Prefecture.
Population: Unknown, but several local populations are extinct, and there is continuing decline.
Habitat and Ecology: It occurs from the coastal area to the top of the mountains, inhabiting evergreen forest and conifer plantations. It breeds in streams by larval development, like most other members of the genus.
Major Threats: Habitat destruction is ongoing, including road construction, deforestation, alteration of river courses, and pollution.
Conservation Measures: No conservation measures are known.
CITES Status (Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species): Not listed

They are not a protected species in Japan, as far as I know.

Here's a low-resolution picture of some larvae that I took with my mobile telephone's camera:

47343.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back