Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
14568.jpg

14569.jpg

14570.jpg

14571.jpg

Hi Tim, once again great pics. (wish i was there)
Quit alot of Hynobius habitat pics you have shown us have had running water or a small waterfall, do you know if they prefer moving water to still water?

Mark, hynobiids can be divided into "lotic-breeding" hynobiids like Hynobius kimurae, H.naevius, H.stejnegeri and Onychodactylus japonicus that use streams, and "lentic-breeding" hynobiids like H.tokyoensis, H.neblosus, H.nigrescens, H.lichenatus, H. dunni, H. retardatus and H.takedai that use still water.

As for elevations, in the area around where I live, H.tokyoensis inhabit the lowlands, while H.kimurae can be found during the breeding season in small, rocky streams at elevations over 400 meters, and O.japonicus in streams at even higher elevations (with some overlap with H.kimurae).

(Message edited by TJ on April 11, 2004)

Compare that beautiful eastern variety of H. kimurae with this <u>spectacularly</u> beautiful western variety:

36351.jpg

Ooouuuch ...that hurts really .....
I never seen them like this Tim. Mine are close to the above showed animals

Here's some salt on your wounds then
lol.gif

36401.jpg

Didn't know you have such an embedded sadistic tendancy Tim
biggrin.gif
. It hurts...

Anyway this is a georgeous animal, but I suspect it is a possible handpicked specimen or do most of them have this color ??

You'll recover
lol.gif

I don't think they normally get this colorful, though there's some pretty significant regional variation as you can see by the above pics. Those in certain regions may get quite colorful.

So, now you know why some people consider this to be the most beautiful of all the Japanese hynobiids, even more so than H. stejnegeri, which has always been my pick -- until now!

You can view some more pics here:

http://www.rieo.net/amph/saramand/sansyouo/hidasan.htm

http://images.google.com/images?q=%E3%83%92%E3%83%80%E3%82%B5%E3%83%B3%E3%82%B7%E3%83%A7%E3%82%A6%E3%82%A6%E3%82%AA&hl=en&lr=&start=40&sa=N

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back