<i>Hynobius nigrescens</i> juvenile

H

henk

Here's a shot of H. nigrescens subadult, now close to 2 years of age

23399.jpg

And still retaining the juvenile coloration!

Yep , but it will change as they grow
uhoh.gif

With H. dunni I somewhat get the impression that the more wed I keep them the more blue they retain (but they all loose it along the way to adulthood).

Here's a pic taken today of an adult H. nigrescens:

36227.jpg

<font size="-2">(taken in pet shop)</font>

(Message edited by TJ on May 18, 2005)

Some more adults:

36230.jpg

<font face="times new roman,times,roman"></font>

Get the idea?
biggrin.gif

36233.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 18, 2005)

Is it just the quality of photo? The first one doesn't seem much like the rest? The pics that Tim posted look smooth - the first pic looks warty. Sorry just trying to learn what I can!

Sharon

Hai Sharon the first one shows a juvenile coloration.
But the skin texture on both shots concern smooth skins; no warts at all. In fact the skin texture is close to the skin of moles salamanders like A. opacum...

Sharon, the same goes for at least several other Hynobiid species. They begin all mottled like that one in Henk's pic, and then the coloration changes as they reach adulthood. The various species can fairly easily be distinguished by looking at the egg sacs or at the adults, but it's occasioanally difficult to tell with morphs and juvies
wink.gif

Sharon, unless ou were referring to the quality of the shots. Indeed mine do show from time to time some noise, whereas Tim's are clearer. This has to do with the difference in camera . Mine is a bridge, Tim is a true dslr. This means that the picture in Tim's camera has a 4 times larger surface CCD then mine. If then noise is equally distributed on both CCD's , this means that if we show pictures at the same size Tim' s images have 4 times less noise then mine... HEnce one of the reasons why I wanna go to a dslr

Well, after reading that I'm loathe to post a substandard photograph but here it is anyway
smile6.gif

Adult H. nigrescens and egg sac:

36452.jpg

<font size="-2">(photographed in a shop)</font>

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back