<i>Onychodactylus japonicus</i>

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
35855.jpg

Anybody else keep this species? Henk? I was given this one by a professional keeper last year. It will grab worms but then spits them out, as was the case with this particular worm. Eats mainly crickets. Must be kept cool all year long.

I have once received 2 of them but they only lasted about 2 months due to temperature problems. They indeed need it cool...

I gave them worms and they ate them. I also use alot of fly maggots which are cheap and so far have not caused any problem with any of my species

This animal is quite green, mine were more orange (south / north distribution). Hope you will have better success then I. If I were to keep them again I would keep them in a shaded outdoor enclosure.

I kept an individual of this species semi-successfully for over a year some time ago but lost it due to an escape.

But I doubt they'd do well here in Tokyo in an outdoor enclosure even if it were shaded as it gets so hot here and their natural habitat is so cool even in the summer. I think 20C may be the maximum tolerable temperature. I keep the room at around 21 and the animal's container is on the floor where it is even cooler (heat rises, right?).

Here's what Goris has to say about the regional variation you spoke of:

"In the western part of the range there is a vermillion to orange stripe down the center of the back from neck to tail tip. The stripe maybe interrupted at several places down its length. In the eastern and northern part of the range, the color is more drab, and the stripe is formed by clusters of small spots."

Source: Guide to the Amphibians and Reptiles of Japan, by Richard C. Goris and Norio Maeda, 2004

Well, I have in fact seen a couple of Onchodactylus japonicus said to have come from the northernmost part of this species' range that were colorful, but they may well have been an exception or perhaps the information I got was wrong...

Here's an old pic of them:

35974.jpg

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back