<i>Hynobius kimurae</i> larvae (natural habitat)

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
I had a very successful day today, finding H. kimurae eggs, larvae and adults, H. tokyoensis larvae and adults and C. pyrrhogaster adults. Here are the H. kimurae larvae:

14533.jpg

14534.jpg

14535.jpg

14536.jpg

14537.jpg

14538.jpg

14539.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on May 09, 2005)

WOW
shocked.gif
, great pics Tim, those larvae look really camouflaged.
Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Mark
biggrin.gif

These Hida Salamander hatched last year and over-wintered as larvae. Like Onychodactylus japonicus (Japanese Clawed Salamander), they can be found in cool, rocky streams at higher elevations year-round.

For pics of this species at various stages of development, see:
http://www.rieo.net/amph/saramand/sansyouo/hidasan.htm

This is not one that's easy to keep in captivity, however, especially because it's very intolerant of high temperatures. I'll share some nice pics of eggs and adults in the next couple of days in a separate thread
biggrin.gif

(Message edited by TJ on May 09, 2005)

That last photo of the first set reminds me a lot of some photos of Rhyacotriton. The Hynobius have the characteristic wide head, but look otherwise very similar:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/Rhyacotriton.shtml
I wouldn't bother to comment on the similar appearance alone, but it sounds like they inhabit a very similar habitat as well.

That's very interesting, Jen. Thanks for that
biggrin.gif

You might notice a shrimp-like creature on the light-colored rock beneath the tail area. Here's a closer shot of it:

35707.jpg

Great pics Tim! I really like how the head of the H. kimurae larvae look very similiar to a shovel! Must be to get in all those nooks and cranies where their shrimp like food source hides!

Found some more H. kimurae today
biggrin.gif

35756.jpg

<font size="-2">(pic was originally posted on May 8 but was modified on May 10)</font>

(Message edited by TJ on May 10, 2005)

Thanks Danny.

35785.jpg

35786.jpg

The "shrimp" is some kind of mayfly larvae. No doubt a good source of food for these guys! I agree, they have great camouflage! The flat head is interesting. I would think it helps them slip easily under rocks.

Amazing how much caudate larvae differ.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
  • Unlike
    sera: @Clareclare, +1
    Back