<i>Hynobius tokyoensis</i> - updated photos

P

paris

if you guys can remember far enough back to the beginning of this summer when i got 2 species of hynobids off the pet trade. they were very bad off- a few were good weight but some were way to thin and missing tails from probably getting them shut in a container. here is what they used to look like-this is average weight
26022.jpg

here are some current photos-you can see in this one that though some are not to full health they are much much fatter and tails have grown back. this is my thinnest specimen.
26023.jpg

here are some of the ones at full health
26024.jpg

26025.jpg

26026.jpg

..now i have to see if i can get them to breed!

Paris, I think they will need to grow a bit more before you can breed them; judging from the size of the animal on your hand. Anyway I sincerally hope you succeed breeding them... good luck

They look great but they still have juvenile coloration. I suppose you'll have to wait another year or two ;)

since these are all the same size, and within the range (which is very broad) i assumed they were old enough-but this now leads me to wonder, is it possible they are captive bred stock that was poorly taken care of? the same goes for my nigrescens....

That's maybe possible Paris, but at least they got in good hands now !!

Seems you did a good job there Paris, I hope you get them to breed - no matter how long it takes them to be old enough.

good luck

Well aonther month and this might be the proper moment to attempt to breed them Paris.. keep in touch I'm trynig from here out with mine

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back