Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Hynobius tsuensis</i>

H

henk

Here you can see why this species is one of my preferate species.

22523.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
That's an absolutely beautiful tsuensis, Henk. You lucky guy!
biggrin.gif
I'm going to photograph some tsuensis today if I get a chance. But I've seen them before and they're nothing like that!

H

henk

From what I have heard there seem to be 2 populations in H; tsuensis onebeing ore orange (and this might be it altough this are juveniles at 2 years only) and a much darker colored form. Anyway mine came with some locality data, I may try to dig it up again if you're interested . these are not the animals I currently have however ((these are much darker unfortunatelly ,... bit I still like them anyway though)

TJ

Reaction score
Yes, my understanding is that they are divided into those on the north island and those on the south island. Here is an example of one that I am told is from the south island:

22936.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
This is supposed to be a northern variety:

22942.jpg

I have never seen a tsuensis as beautiful as yours Henk
biggrin.gif
If I were to take a guess based on the assumption that the two varieties I just posted pics of are truly what they are said to be, then I'd guess yours is a northerner.

(Message edited by TJ on September 16, 2004)

TJ

Reaction score
P

pin-pin

Hi Tim and Henk, those are beautiful animals. I'm going to add Tsushima Island to my list of "places I want to travel to." (Whoa! I'm not commenting on a Taricha thread
blush.gif
)

H

henk

I think I even have exact locality data on the animals Tim, but these were also still young and maybe showed a more and nicer coloration then their adults.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1