Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

European hynobiids...<b><i>way</i></b> back when

TJ

Reaction score
I never knew before that members of the Asiatic family Hynobiidae used to inhabit eastern Europe (and I don't mean Russia), just like cryptobranchids did long ago.

I read it in this abstract:

Land salamanders of the family Hynobiidae from the Neogene and Quaternary of Europe

Author(s): Marton Venczel
Source: Amphibia-Reptilia Volume: 20 Number: 4 Page: 401 -- 412
DOI: 10.1163/156853899507158
Publisher: Brill Academic Publishers

Abstract: A new extinct genus with two new species of land salamanders of the family Hynobiidae, from the Late Miocene of Polgardi (MN13), Hungary (Parahynobius kordosi gen. n. sp. n.) and from the Lower Pleistocene of Betfia IX/C (MQ1), Romania (Parahynobius betfianus gen. n. sp. n.), is described. The Late Miocene locality of Tardosbanya (MN12) and the Lower Pliocene locality of Osztramos 1C (MN14), Hungary, also yielded several vertebrae, assigned with some doubt to the above genus (cf. Parahynobius). The new taxa belonged to the westernmost distributed stock of land salamanders of the Hynobius-group, which, based on the available fossil record, reached the Carpathian Basin during Late Miocene and disappeared from the area during Lower Pleistocene times. The Hynobiidae had a wider geographic distribution during the Tertiary and Quaternary compared to their present range, which is limited to Asia.

--------------------------------------------

Anybody know what is the westernmost range of hynobiids today? I've read of Hynobius turkestanicus inhabiting Turkmenistan, but it seems it may be extinct already. Salamandrella keyserlingii is elsewhere said to be the only hynobiid in Europe, but the range map I have seen does not show it extending west of Siberia.

(Message edited by TJ on September 02, 2004)

N

nate

I think that'd be Batrachuperus persicus in Iran, in the Elburz Mountains along the southern coast of the Caspian Sea.

H

henk

So it seem they died out before me ... why didn't they wait ??

From what I read in Kuzmin, Hynobius turkestanicus is a doubtfull species.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1