Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

<i>Hynobius nebulosus</i>

TJ

Reaction score
3057.jpg

3058.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
It's interesting to see that they're now losing that "peppered" look seen in the above pics from a week ago.

3266.jpg

3267.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Just love the way these have turned out with their stubby, bright yellow tails
bowl.gif

4089.jpg

4090.jpg

K

kai

Congrats Tim!

These are among the weirdest metamorphs I've seen...

TJ

Reaction score
Not since morphing, Jen. And they were never as voracious as the H. tokyoensis. I ended up with too many of them (35+) as there so many in the egg sac to begin with. I've just found a good home for 20 of them!

By the way, these particular ones are a bit unique as they come from the tiny island of Iki (notorious in the past for its lethal dolphin roundups) of Nagasaki Prefecture. While this species is widespread in Japan, the ones on Iki seem closely related to H.tsuensis on nearby Tsushima Island (or so I was recently told).

(Message edited by TJ on May 28, 2003)

TJ

Reaction score
An update on my H.nebulosus. They're now 6 months old. I underestimated how many I have left, and counted 24 of them today, about 10 more than I had thought
biggrin.gif
They're hardy and are now varacious eaters (the reverse of tokyoensis, which were voracious in the larval stage but not as morphs). As can seen in these pics snapped today, they've retained the yellow on the tips of their tails. It'll certainly be interesting to see how they turn out to look as adults.

6067.jpg

6068.jpg

6069.jpg

6070.jpg

6071.jpg

6072.jpg

(Message edited by TJ on September 21, 2003)

H

henk

IN H. nebulosus there are some local races that do retain this yellow tail ( I have 3 of such a race/geographic region) and others that fail to display this yellowish tail. Might be that during breeding this color comes back...

Animals with all-life yellow tails are rare to my experience

My juveniles had their tail all yellow, no just the top.

TJ

Reaction score
To illustrate the wide variation in coloring and patterns among H.nebulosus fropm different parts of Japan, here are some pics:

6559.jpg
6560.jpg

(photos used with permission from Peponi: http://www.remix-net.co.jp/ ...which doesn't deal in Hynobiids any longer so don't bother asking them
wink.gif
)

H

henk

Well I love those blue spotted ones. Normally I have this coloration in juvenile animals, but never in such large adults.. they are quite beautifull and .. why don't they live out here in Europe ???

TJ

Reaction score
The juveniles are coming along fine, and are now 4-4.5cm:

10959.jpg

I'm hoping the yellow on the tail will stay with them through adulthood
biggrin.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1