Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

White cloud minnows??

ryan

Reaction score
Im in the process of cycling my tank for a mudpuppy (can't wait much longer!!!) and im doing it with white cloud mountain minnows, when i put the mudpuppy in the tank do you guys think i should let it eat them after the cycling process.

D

dane

the minnows could probably live with them, and the mudpuppy could eat them if it chooses, I dont see anything wrong with it

michael

2010 Research Grant Donor
Reaction score
I have white clouds in with my Pachyhynobius. Normally I wouldn't mix fish with the salamanders but decided to try it with these. My thinking was the trio of Pachyhynobius might be distracted by the white clouds and not fight much. They aren't fighting much but I never saw them pay any attention to the white clouds. When people insist on putting fish in with their salamanders I usually suggest white clouds or danios.

J

jennifer

If you don't have another tank for the white clouds, I don't see anything wrong with letting the mudpuppy eat them. But they are awesome little fish, you might want to move them to another tank just to keep them. Mine reproduce like crazy.

D

damon

I keep white clouds with mine and they leave them alone... However, if I was to find then all gone one day it would be no big loss to me though as they were put in as a food. They have been in the tank for months and seem to do very well in the cold water.

A

andy

I breed white clouds to have a constant supply for all of my aquatic set-ups. Mainly to rid the aquariums of all small, unwanted invertebrates. Ie: tube-type worms of unknown sp., and occasional hydra.

D

dawn

Is there some secret to get them to breed? I have had a bunch in my tank for almost 3 years, healthy, and I always hear they're so easy to breed. I must be missing something. Is there a trick or secret that you could share?
thanks

J

jennifer

My white clouds breed in two of my enclosures. Both have fine-grained sand on the bottom. I don't know if this is the secret of success, but since white clouds are "egg scatterers", the fine sand might help hide the eggs. Also, they eat leftover newt food, including blackworms and daphnia. Blackworms are renowned for helping to make certain fish breed.

D

dawn

All my fish get plenty of blackworms. But I have pebbles on the bottom. Do you think they could be laying eggs and then they just get eaten?

kevin

Reaction score
I keep two Siren intermedia, my largest one is around 25cm, the other is a little bit smaller, could I keep White Clouded Mountain Minnow's with those?

Thanks

kevin

Reaction score
Great, so they wouldnt bite at their gills at all? that was my only worry, if their not aggressive at all, then I'll get a few of them, and try keeping them with them.

A

andy

The secret to getting them to spawn for me is as follows:

1. Healthy, well fed fish. As with all small sp. of fish, fresh hatch BBS. I alternate feedings with the shrimp and Hikari micro-pellets.

2. Small, separate well aged aquarium with plenty of java moss, or any other bushy plant. Believe it or not, the males will use this as their retreat as the females become quite aggressive towards the males advances. The eggs are not laid in the plants, they are scattered all over the BARE BOTTOM of the tank.

3. Introduce one male and one or more heavily gravid females.

4. Conduct a partial water change of NO MORE than 25%.

5. Have aged, dechlorinated and REFRIGERATED water ready. As most of us know, WCMM like cooler water, e.g. 65-70 degrees. The cool water is what you will use to replace the 25% you siphoned off. Make shure you allow the cool water to warm up to around 45-50 degrees before pouring into the aquarium. This introduction of cool water induces them to spawn. Remove the breeders after two days and the eggs should hatch in about a week or less. Have micro-worms and BBS ready.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1