Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andrias japonicus land habits

TJ

Reaction score
A. japonicus probably leads a 99% aquatic life but it's not incapable of leaving the water and walking on land to circumvent obstacles in the river.

Here is one at Tokyo's Ueno Zoo today trying to climb over an obstacle (...and failing):

25447.jpg

H

henk

The more I look at it the more I feel like there's a pancake becoming alive...

Overall very very impressive animals. I've had the luck of seeing some alive and they were incredibellly impossive. Wanted to tkae a picture and for the first time I faced a problem that you don't encounter much while shooting amphibian images : the animals didn't fit on the image ..

Wouldn't love to keep one (lots a work and food/fingers) but sure love to observe them...

B

benjamin

I went to that zoo three years ago It was nice seeing the giants.

S

sal

I have seen them crawl over rocks that took most of their body out of water. I do believe the can move some on land, but it is more in a serpentine motion than crawling.

E

edward

They have been documented walking up and around obstatcles like dams in the wild. They can walk just fine...

Ed

A

annmarie

What an impressive creature. I hope the conservation goes ok. Intersting enough most of my friends in Japan had no idea what it was. Some even said "oh that not in Japan, that Chinese".

Sometimes I wonder if this creature led to some of the habbits of godzilla, such as godzilla coming from water and when there is pollution he gets sad and very very angry(and dooms the world)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!