Did everyone here catch their sirens?

megan

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Megan Wright
I find sirens to be some of the coolest creatures. I've been wanting one but from what I've read they are impossible to breed in captivity. So did everyone here catch a siren in the wild or manage to get one off someone else?

I actually got mine from a pet shop that in turn got their from a biological supply company, which probably mostlikely caught them in the wild, so yes mine are wild caught i guess. They make very interesting and personable captives, actively begging for food, and can be just as if not more personable than axolotyls. They are also very tough when it comes to water quality. Mine go for months with out water changes and are happy as clams in a bed
happy.gif
If you wanna get some your best bet would be a biological supple company.

Actually, few biological supply companies stock Siren. There are only 2 vendors that I know of that are likely, and one of them recently stopped supplying amphibians and started an eco-tour business (at least that was the last thing I heard from him).

Amphiuma are far more likely to be in bio supply catalogs as they are used in blood physiology studies and studies which require large readily available cells (such as the very large blood cells of this species).

Greater and lesser sirens are often available at places like Glades Herps. The last time I looked around at some Bio supply companies like Carolina and Wards, they did not have sirens or amphiumas. Right now, there are a couple vendors on the kingsnake.com classifieds selling greater sirens.

Dwarf sirens (which are not impossible to breed at all) used to be somewhat readily available but have become very hard to find in the last 4 or 5 years.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back