Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Love hurts!! (S. intermedia biting)

P

paris

here are some shots of my S. intermedia that have been biting each other lately. this is supposed to be a sign of breeding. here is a shot of one feeding on floating food sticks-the angle is because the tank is above my head.

55576.jpg

here are some recent scar marks on some of the ones in the tank-sort of reminds me of manatee scars
55577.jpg

55578.jpg

this aggression is a recent event-i have had them for 2 years w/o such incidents. one has a small chunk taken out near the vent. problem is i went in one day to feed and noticed my smallest one all bit up! here is a shot 4 days after treatment of her 'normal' bites
55579.jpg

she wasnt moving much when i removed her and got her in a treatment regime -here is why i had to separate her!
55580.jpg

this is about 2" long-and she's only about 10" so it's significant for size and depth. she is doing fine but this will take time to heal.

TJ

Reaction score
Vicious beasties!

What do you do to prevent infection?

I've got all the chemical ingredients now to make my own amphibian Ringer's solution, but I lack a scale that can precisely measure quantities under 1 gram -- and I don't have any friends that deal either
lol.gif

Are those Reptomin food sticks?

P

paris

actually these are from an old can of TEN im trying to use up, they will get reptomin after that-i try not to feed live cause they get too excited and i'v got a few amputees from feeding frenzies. im giving her batryl and no one has fuzzed up yet.

K

kyle

wow, those are impressive chunks.

It seems very odd to me that such massive aggression just randomly occurred and caused such severe damage. The only answer that makes sense is breeding response, but maybe they have more personality than we think and the larger ones just snapped from being annoyed by the smaller one ;).

I hope everything heals up swiftly.

P

paris

update: she is getting better, still no infections but also still no appetite

P

paris

here is a shot of the bite 15 days later. its beginning to heal-there is even pigmented skin starting to grow over the flesh.
56659.jpg

so far she hasn't gotten her appetite back yet-but she's a frisky gal during water changes, i had to fish her out of the dishes in the sink yesterday!

ali

Reaction score
Tim, you should go into some hippie shops to find the scale you need. ;)

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1