Worms on mudpuppy

J

jarid

In another thread I told you they are most likely leeches. Try picking them off if there aren't many. If the sal is infested with them you may need to take further actions though. Be careful around the gills also.

blush.gif
Sorry, I'm not trying to be redundant. I originally posted this question in the axie section of this forum because I thought I had an axolotls and although I got some helpful responses, for example, the species I have was correctly identified, it was suggested that I try posting here because people would know more about mudpuppies in this section. Guess it wasn't necessary for me to post the same?? twice huh. Thanks for the help.

OK. plucking them off with tweezers are impossible. I tried. These worms retract into themselves whenever the tweezers get a hold of them. They move all around the mudpuppy and are clearly visible, but they are too slippery to grab with any instrument. How likely is the possibility that these worm things aren't harmful? Could they be cleaning the mudpuppy?

mine have got these things too-they do seem to move like leeches but they are so small and the animals wont sit still-im willing to leave them be unless i find out they are dangerous

I've devised a method of getting them off my mudpuppy and I just thought I would share. I took the rubber end of a medicine dropper and stuck a piece of rubber tube, the kind the hospital uses for IV's, into it and I suck the litter suckers off. I've removed 5 so far. I don't see anymore now. I'm just gonna remove them as I see them. Now, what should I do with the little pests now that their off my puppy.

Make them suffer!!
wink.gif
I dunno.... dispose of them in any way you see fit.

haha, You could keep them in a small container, feed them.. grow them in to sooper leaches and let them take over the world.

We'll all know where the mass chaos started. ;) lol.

My only real advice is dont eat them..... I cant imagine what horrible things may grow in side of your stomach.... and then think if you added the leaches... gross. ;).

<font color="ff0000">The following post is not by me but by Kristy. I am only restoring it after accidently deleting it ;)</font>

-------------------------------------------------

I purchased a mudpuppy about a week ago as a tiger salamander larvae. I believe he is a mudpuppy, not a waterdog, but anyhow, I am new at keeping this species. I've noticed these white worm things crawling on his gills and torso. They move just like inchworms. Does anyone have any experience with these? Should I try plucking them off with tweezers or is there a better way to get rid of them?

Here is a pic. The worm is on his gills on the left side.http://www.reptiforum.com/gallery/data/500/8512axolotls_worm014_copy.jpg

(Message edited by tj on May 06, 2006)

No one has Identified them yet . . . I have them on my N. maculosus as well (none on my N. alabamensis) . . . I believe them to be roundworms/nematodes . . . their numbers haven't seemed to increase (over the year I've had my mudpuppies), so I don't think that they are harmful.

Troy

After removing them from my mudpuppy using the method I described above, I have not seen a single one. In my experience, they are not too difficult to get rid of.

Pet Bazaar - 490 State Road 436, Casselberry, FL 32707 - http://www.petbazaarinc.com
(407) 260-0552 should be able to give you more insight on what you guys are experiencing they have all kinds of stuff. Try to look them up. They should be able to tell you what to do about the worms and also if it's a symbiotic relationship between the pet and the worms or at least point you in the right direction. Hope this helps.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back