Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Andrias davidianus -- swaying

TJ

Reaction score
I spent about 45 minutes observing a large (150 cm?) Andrias davidianus yesterday at an aquarium in Hakone, Shizuoka Prefecture. It swayed about 20 degrees about every 10-15 seconds, both to the left and to the right.

Does Erik or Ed or anybody else with experience with these animals know what it the purpose of this swaying and how common it is? My guess was that it was because these animals normally dwell in river areas with a current, and there was no perceptible current in this one's case.

I'll post a photograph or two of this magnificent creature later ;)

(Message edited by TJ on August 08, 2005)

P

paris

tim,
nice pic, too bad we cant get a pic of you next to the critter in the tank to get a better idea of size (150cm=~5 ft?)

ps. as for your idea about swaying i would be thinking about the same as you

TJ

Reaction score
Paris, yeah, just under 5 ft (my guess anyway).

If that's truly the reason for its swaying, then it's intriguing. Maybe it needs constant water motion to be able to breathe through its skin.

I would have liked to know things like for how long it's been at this aquarium and where it came from, but the staff there were few in number and pretty clueless, to say the least. At a couple of other facilities I've seen in Japan, the A. davidianus were all "wild-caught" by fishermen after having been released into local rivers -- either having escaped from the menu or having been released after becoming too big and troublesome to be kept in captivity.

Funny, as we accidently discovered this aquarium, a 2-hour drive from our home, after a failed quest to see three A. davidianus at another, even more distant facility.

The amazing thing was that we were able to pull up our plastic deck chairs next to the beast and had it all to ourselves for the entire time as it was close to closing time. We sat there in peace, sipping canned coffee, watching the hypnotically swaying Andrias, fantasizing about starting up a salamander-themed coffee shop after reaching retirement age (investors welcome!)
biggrin.gif

I do have a picture of myself there but it's so unflattering that the giant salamander looks almost handsome in comparison! Must've been a problem with the lighting
smile6.gif

R

ralf

CCS = Caudata Coffee Shop
biggrin.gif

Actually a pretty good concept for distributing caudate related info.
Can I place a reservation for the "Cynops-lounge" already?

TJ

Reaction score
Ah, another customer for the exclusive VIP lounge! Be sure to clearly present your membership card to the burly bouncers you'll meet on the way upstairs as they're apt to bounce first and ask questions later
lol.gif

40834.jpg

TJ

Reaction score
Hmmm...they do have the ability to climb out of the water and walk on land for short stretches, but I think their legs are too short and their bodies too heavy to surmount a wall as high as that of this enclosure.

40837.jpg

E

edward

Hi Tim,
You are correct in your assumption that the motion is to help respiration in waters with an insufficient water flow. (which can also occur under the stones they use for shelter).

Animals that breath through direct exchange with water will build a layer around themselves that is depleted in oxygen and has a higher carbon dioxide content (and potentially an increased amount of ammonia). This layer does not dissipate at a rate sufficient to supply the metabolic needs of the animal so the slight movement of the animal causes the layer to break up and be dissipated in the aquaria.

so does the Andrias get to supplement its diet with hands and/or feet?

Ed

M

mark

I was thinking the same. Children in Japan must be better behaved than their UK counterparts. Over here they'd be straight in, shoes off paddling around trying to catch it. Mind you if Tim got his way with the coffee shop they'd probably be having doughnut and expresso supplements too.

Great pics btw.

P

paris

i get first dibs on the name "newt tea bar" (say it fast for the pun
biggrin.gif
)...i was thinking of an apropo pic of tim sitting on the floor in a turbin playing a bamboo flute in motion to an Andris swaying back and forth in the water.......just a thought......

A

alan

Children in Japan *are* much better behaved than children in the UK.
OTOH, with a sal that size, could be a useful food source!

P

paris

"you used to have an older brother, but he didnt behave, so we fed him to the giant salamander"......hmm , scary but useful manipulation ploy........

E

erik

That is insane. Someone will eventually lose a finger.... probably an American visitor! I can attest to the fact that Japanese children are very well behaved.

F

foster

Erik,
When I was in Japan we went to a drive through safari type zoo. We were in a caged in bus and were given strips of raw meat to feed the lions and tigers (via tongs) through the bars (which had spaces that were easily large enough for a child to put a hand through). Those crazy Japanese!
Chip

P

paris

chip,
that is proof that there is one field that the Japanese dont beat the Americans in -litigation

TJ

Reaction score
What's the heck is the deal with the last couple days' posts having been erased?

(Message edited by TJ on August 15, 2005)

P

paul

Ya some of my post have been deleted too. BTW- Those picks are super-rad, the huge sals look soo much like rotten logs lol ( thats meant in a good way) ;-)
-Paul

TJ

Reaction score
If anybody has selected the post notification option for this part of the forum, please send me the missing posts and I'll restore them. I'm afraid I've already deleted from my computer the posts that were automatically notified to me.

T

travis

I'm a little late on this thread. I was curious though at the age of that giant,you don't happen to know do ya TJ?I mean...near 5 ft? It must take them forever to get that big.
Travis

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1