Giants of the Midwest.

K

kyle

Midwest Zoos that is. I have a couple pictures you all might be interested in from my recent venture to a few zoos here in the U.S.

Detroit, Toledo, and Cincinnati Zoo's all had some great Cryptobranchids, and they were all very impressive.

First, from Detroit's holding area-

51739.jpg

These two are in a "Nesting Box" with the lid removed for a quick view. I believe there were 4 kept in total in the holding tank, with 2 in a display which I unfortunately did not get a decent picture of. There are also Hellbenders on Display and in the back which I could not get a decent picture of either, but did get a nice hellbender shot from another zoo that you will see next.

This picture was taken at the Toledo Zoo

51740.jpg

I guess I'd just call that your typical Hellbender head shot, but it is a very well displayed healthy specimen, just a little tough to photograph (but show me a cryptobranchid that isn't tough to photograph...) Well you asked for it, and you got it, check out these awesome pictures of some Japanese Giants at the Cincy Zoo.

51741.jpg
51742.jpg

51743.jpg
51744.jpg

51745.jpg

That last one is my favorite, and special thanks to Mike G. for taking such a great photo by the way! (he took that one, if you didn't catch on)

and shh don't tell I posted these next two pictures in here, but also back to Toledo... I got to see this guy which I was amazed by.

51746.jpg

51747.jpg

Well, I hope you enjoyed my photos, they are just a couple of the ones I took from my trip, but definitely the best, and my most favorites. If you guys have any questions, feel free to shout them out. And if I do have to remove the Tuatara shots, thats cool, just let me know.

Very nice Tuatara, juvenile or small female? These guys are pretty cool. I attended a lecture with Mike Gillingham (sp), and might try to join one of their field research sessions next year.

At Detroit, did you meet Edi Sonntag? She's doing her doctoral work on the cryptobranchids. Hopefully she figures out how to breed them!! They were nesting last time I was there, but from what I hear, they don't get any further than that.

Beautiful pics, Kyle.

I only met with Bill Flanagan and then two of their reptile staff at Detroit. Bill told me that they actually do get cloacal swelling in the two males, and some aggressive behavior at the same time, but not too much beyond that. I hope it also works out for them as well, it would be an exciting adventure for Zoo's involved with cryptobranchid research all over.

The Tuatara is a smallish female, and that would be amazing to be on a research team with those guys, best of luck to you Joan.

thanks for the comment on the pictures.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back