Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Necturus setup

S

sean

The message below I originaly posted in the Vivaria gallery which probably wasnt the best place for it so I am posting here also because I would like more responses from people with experience with large aquatics. Sorry if this is against the rules.

Here is my recently completed setup for Necturus Maculosus. Although now I am unsure of the legality of me keeping one. Now I am considering a Greater Siren,Amphiuma, or maybe even Axolotls. I have never kept any of these so I dont know what my best bet would be. BTW this setup is a 55gal with 2 30-60 filters and live plants. I made a cave structure out of the large rocks and all of the gravel bed is rocks collected from a mountain stream in Tennessee.I have had this tank setup for about 2 weeks and I gaze at it at least once everyday even though nothing lives in it. It reminds me of the mountain streams that I love so much. The only further plans I have for it is more plants.Anybody have opinions on what would be the best species to live in the tank? Also, Anybody know a source for Sirens?
44245.jpg

R

russ

I received some info from John Jensen of the Georgia DNR Nongame-Endangered Wildlife Program. The following rules apply; 27-1-28, 391-4-10, 27-1-30 and 27-4-91. Now under 27-1-28 (see link) it refers to spring lizards. If I remember correctly this is a colloquial term for salamanders/newts/caudates here in the south. So you could collect any of the Necturus species for your set-up.

http://www.legis.state.ga.us/cgi-bin/gl_codes_detail.pl?code=27-2-28

S

sean

Thanks Russ!Thats great news. Now I just have to find a source and get some issues with my tank worked out. Planning on getting any Necturus yourself?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!