Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Release of thousands of A. davidianus

K

kyle

I can't find the exact article now, which I'm disappointed about... but, an article from a chinese newspaper I read just a couple days ago from May 23rd said this. Headline- Thousand Endangered Amphibians released in E. China Province. The article talked about how 10,000 giant salamanders are bred every year in china. I had no idea that there were that many being bred, I knew something was going on, but not in that magnitude..... why aren't we matching this work with hellbenders here in the United States?

Not to answer my own question, but has China developed/protected enough habitat to support releasing thousands of animals back to the wild, where in here in the U.S. we are still trying to resolve problems? Any additional information available would be fantastic. Thanks!

F

foster

Kyle,
Given China's reputation for blatant disregard of much of it's native fauna in favor of the traditional food and medicinal markets, I would be somewhat skeptical (but otherwise delightfully surprised) of the accuracy of your source.
Chip

TJ

Reaction score
Is this the article you're seeking?

http://www.giant-salamander.com/view_en.asp?id=613

I just posted the link for this site (http://www.giant-salamander.com) a couple of days ago in the thread beneath this one ;)

For articles like this at that site, go to the English section and then look under "Industrial News"
wink.gif

(Message edited by TJ on September 23, 2005)

F

foster

That's a great read. When I have more time to play on the internet I plan on exploring that site. Kyle, I too wish that we could do something similar here in the states. First however we have to make sure that there is suitable habitat left for any possible reintroduction.
Chip

K

kyle

That's not the exact one, but it covers the exact same information, probably a little better than the one I found. Thanks for posting it!

I'm glad to know that they have suitable habitat to release 1000 salamanders in to.

And I fully agree Chip, it would be a huge advantage if we first had some suitable habitat available to support any benders captively produced. Hopefully its all not too far off.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!