Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Call me a little paranoid... <font color="ff0000">(mudpuppies)</font>

J

jesse

ok i think i may be being a little paranoid, but my mudpuppy is wandering the tank around during the day. This is very distressing to me. Am i doing something wrong? i feed it goldfish and crayfish with the odd worm and tadpole in there for variety. Please help! im totally spazzing out!

J

jesse

i keep her water cold i used a bunch of kool packs that are changed regularly, i monitir the temp with a thermometre. as far as i know she isint sick, there is no sighn of ill ness, then again i did get her from a biological supply company. she has many hiding places by the way

S

sharon

Maybe she is stressed by the recent change from the cooler to the new home added to curiosity about the new house.

The axolotls did the same thing for a while. They finally "relaxed" after a week in the same tank, with no major changes.

Sharon

P

peter

It could also be the brightness of the room. When we have the shades all closed in the basement, and it's darker because of clouds, etc outside, mine is more likely to come out, but still prefers night.

TJ

Reaction score
Mudpuppies are so cool, though I've never had the change to keep one. Something to do with having to feed them live food
uhoh.gif
Also due to space considerations. Just last night I saw some mudpuppies on the Animal Planet program "Amazing Amphibians". Are they or are they not capable of making a sound? The program seemed to suggest not. Are they prone to biting the fingers that feed them? This is one species that I know next to nothing about and would like to learn more...

J

jesse

well they dont really make a sound intentionally, i know from my mudpuppy that they make a yealp like sucking/gulping noise when they are removed from the water. As for the biting, that really depends from mudpuppy to mud puppy, mine never as biten me, though i dont really handle or disturb it that much. My feiend used to have one that would snap at anything that came near it. Handfeeding them isint reaslly neccessary since i feed mine live food , as im sure most other ppl do. im always shocked at how few ppl actually know what a mudpuppy is. I always get these really bizzare looks after i answer the "do you have any pets?" question. Also my mom and my gf think she is really ugly , but i thik she is beautiful.

E

edward

Jesse,
Did you move a filter from your cooler to the tank or is it a new filter? My first guess would be the tank is cycling, my second guess is that the temps are fluctuating too much throughout 24 hour period.

As for gold fish, in short they contain too high a level of saturated fats...

Ed

K

kaysie

Where do you keep the tank? maybe you could find somewhere less stressful, cooler, and darker for her

J

jesse

actually i keep several thermometres in the tank and the temperature never really varies that much (2-3 degrees), light may be a problem, but the tank is heavily planted, and provided with alot of hiding places. she doesnt really move around much she jsut really sits under this branch thing that i have in the tank, i thougfht something was wrong because she never really slept anywere other than the ceramic bowl that has a door like crack in it. Im farily sure that she isint sick (not certain)since i gave her everything under the sun when i got her and quarantined her for a long time, but i know that there is no real absolute so only time can tall on that issue i guess. But she is eating alot though, i saw her eat three crawdads today during the day, i think i may move her to a darker room thougn

K

kaysie

You know, my sals have very rarely used this plastic pipe i've got in their tank, and the other day i opened the tank to see one chillin in it. Maybe its just time to explore new places?

J

jesse

really?every salamander that i ever had that was terrestrial hated pipes, they were always partial to the large strips of bark on the ground, so were the wood lice. i put up a sheet infront of her tank and behind it, to block out the light, i think that this ig going to improve the situation incase there is any thing due to stress.

J

joseph

Not to sure if it might be the case for you, but my 10 gallon apparently gets WARMER at night. Thats probably because I close the lid to prevent escapes(which slows evaporation which cools things down). So if I use icepacks, I usually put them in in the evening.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1