New book of A.japonicus photographs

TJ

Reaction score
Country
United States
Display Name
Tim Johnson
7968.jpg

It's 94 pages long, BIG (31cmx 31cm) and mostly photographs, including some pretty incredible ones, I hear. For those interested, the ISBN # is 4835214986, and it's published by Biblos of Japan. I know it's available from Amazon Japan at:

http://www.amazon.co.jp/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/books/4835214986/249-4793772-6975510

....but I dunno how you'd go about ordering it from abroad. The price is a hefty 7,500 yen (almost US$70).

They're having a special on Animal Plant on giant amphibians, which will include the giant salamander. I can't remember what day it's gonna be on, but it's sometime this week at 8PM.

Thanks very much for that tip, Riccilily. I don't get that channel now but may subscribe to it for a month or so just to catch that program! Just in case though, somebody please do record it!

Please tip us off next time as well
wink.gif

Ok, the show on animal planet airs tonight at 8PM. Sorry about the short notice, but I just saw the ad about a day ago.

It just ended
crazy.gif
it was a cool show i saw a mudpuppy now i want one

Too bad I missed it. This is the description of the program "Almighty Amphibians" on the Animal Planet site:

"Imagine coming face to face with a monster so big it can swallow a human arm whole. Meet the world's largest frogs, toads and salamanders, including some astonishing and rare species known for their intriguing encounters with humans."

-----------------

Hmm...I haven't heard any report of a giant salamander ever biting off or swallowing anybody's arm whole, though they can surely give a nasty bite. I suppose if an arm were somehow detached and then fed to the beast, it could be conceivably be swallowed...
lol.gif

Another site says the one-hour documentary kicks off with highlights on cane toads in
Florida, after which viewers are brought to Japan to meet a 50-year-old "monster" salamander, which is 1.5 metre long and weighs 23kg. I read that hellbenders were also featured.

I finally saw that book of Andrias photographs today. Nice? Sure, but $70?!
errr.gif

(Message edited by TJ on November 19, 2003)

Well I just got my copy of the above book today from Amazon.jp. And yes it is expensive for a book this length, but the photographs are amazing. Alot of the cost is probably due to the extravagant cover+dust jacket, but it is a very well done book. The text is all Japanese, but as stated above this is a picture book, so if you don't read Japanese it is still a great book.

The book consists of pictures of A.japonicus, habitat of A.japonicus through the 4 seasons, and animals that are sympatric with A.japonicus. There are pictures of eggs, larvae and adults.

Definately worth getting if you have a strong interest in Cryptobranchids. I was amazed again at how fast Amazon.jp got the order to me-less than a week both times.

Thanks to Tim for recommending another good Japanese title
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back