Dwarf sirens..

Z

zach

I am trying to decide between these or axolotls, and I like these guys better. I have that book about Salamanders by Barrans and they give some good detail. I was just wondering for food and a filter, would I duetto filter be good? Thanks!

I haven't kept dwarf Sirens before, but I'm sure Ed can give you some hints. I use minimal filtration for Siren intermedia, but have alot of plants in with them. I just wanted to encourage you to try the sirens as opposed to axolotls!

Hi Erik,
I also use minimal filtration on the dwarf sirens (as well as greater and lesser sirens). Other than an exhibit tank, I use either an airstone or a sponge filter for the dwarf sirens depending on the plant level in the tank. (Although I have yet to see any difference in reproduction ect between the two groups of dwarf sirens).
All in all they are very easy to maintain.
Ed

Acquired a lesser siren the other day. Fantastic creature!
happy.gif

3089.jpg

3090.jpg

How many tanks do you have, Tim; you have so many posts about this breeding, or that morphing or aquiring another fascinating creature - you're so lucky!

Chris, it's not "luck"...rather I suffer from what might be called "excessive acquisition syndrome"
biggrin.gif

There's actually a good article somebody wrote on the hazards of contracting this ailment but I couldn't find the link at Caudate Central. Anybody know it?

I have in the past felt a bit overstretched maintaining 25+ tanks (not counting 15 or so mostly larvae tanks under 10-gallon size), given my limited time and resources...though I do devote a lot of both to my menagerie! So I try not to add anything new unless I'm confident that I can properly care for it and that nothing else will be neglected. I advise focusing on quality rather than quantity. Now, if I can only follow my own advice...
blush.gif

No - I meant you're lucky to have the space/resources to keep buying and more importantly maintaining all you're animals PLUS two dogs!!!
Chris

Hi Chris. You forgot to mention the caecilians, tropical fish and turtle
biggrin.gif
But really, for me it's really just question of resource allocation and time management. Anyway, I did find that article I mentioned:

http://www.nafcon.dircon.co.uk/lissues_largecol.html

Tim, if you ever feel that you need to part with the Osaka pyrrhogaster, let me know.
happy.gif
I find them to be one of the most beautiful newts I've ever seen pictures of and definately the neatest pyrrhogaster.

~Aaron

the above post only applies if you find yourself at the point where you need to get rid of some animals

Do smart people think i could keep one japanese fire bellied newt and one dwarf siren together in a 5 gallon tank or one lesser siren instead of a dwarf?

I'm not sure what smart people think, but here's what I think....

Don't mix the two species(Dwarf sirens and fire belly newts). You might get away with it, in fact they would probably be fine together, but would do better on their own. 1 dwarf siren in a 5 gallon tank is ok, but a 10 gallon would be better. Lesser sirens get too big to keep in a 5 gallon tank.

Where did you guys get your dwarfs sirens i cant find any for sale i would catch one but i live in California

Thanks e-mail xxtile@aol.com

hey! tim where did you get your lesser siren come on man dont keep the secret to your self hook me up e-mail xxtileAaol.com

Duo, Tim lives in Japan, and is unlikely to be able to hook you up with one. You'll have to do some research to find em in the states.
I've already asked him to hook me up with tons of little guys, but he's just not the smuggling type.
lol.gif

sorry, let me refraze my statement hey tim could you tell me were you got your lesser siren i would like to get one ohh and 1 other question what your favorite manga?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back