Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Jefferson salamanders

Z

zachary

I was wondering if anyone here is keeping jefferson salamanders? And if so, are they hard to keep?? Or are they like most ambystomids? I am looking to get some this spring, I currently have tigers and marbleds, so I was just curious as to what people thought bout keeping these creatures. Thanks.

K

kaysie

I have a small clan. They're just as easy to keep as any other ambystomatid. Lazy, they dont like to chase food, but i enjoy them.

how many marbleds do you have?

Z

zachary

I currently have 3 marbleds, 2females 1male(i believe). I got them over a year and a half ago from Mr Johns Farm and some from Denver Dan, who had bred them himself. Do you have any idea wheere I could get jeffersons??Thanks

K

kaysie

no, they seem to be pretty rare in the trade. not that they're endangered, just no one likes them, lol. mine were intended for another owner who couldnt get the permits necessary to keep them.

Z

zachary

are they an endangered species if someone couldnt get permits for them? well i hope to get some of them over the spring, I really am fascinated with the mole salamander species.

K

kaysie

that someone was a canadian resident. according to the federal government, they're not endangered. but according to the federal government, axies are (in the wild, yes, but there's no fear of the species dying out, for sure).

good luck

A

alex

I think mark lucas occasionally has jeffersons. check places like markmlucas.com or gherp.com.

L

lauren

I bought a fire salamander 2 weeks ago from underground reptiles and they has 1 jefferson's in stock. It was an adult I think, and about $49 (don't quote me on that though). They had him in a regular 10 gallon aquarium, with eco-earth and moss, water dish, hide box - basic salamander stuff. They said he buries himself most of the time.

Their website is www.undergroundreptiles.com. It was not listed on there, but they may still have the salamander if you contact them.

K

kaysie

HOLY <font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font><font color="ff0000">&#149;</font>! $50 for a Jefferson! I didn't know these guys were made of gold! Hey, who wants mine? JUST KIDDING! Thats a pretty far-fetched price. Especially for such a common ambystomid.

L

lauren

Common except in South Florida :/ Shipping from anywhere else would make the price higher! (Which is probably added into the stores overhead already). We don't even have axolotls in the stores here - so with shipping and everything mine was about that much, even though the animal itself was $16. It was just that salamander though selling for $50, the mavortiums and tigrinums were $19 each (which is in line with the other two Florida sites posted above).

J

joseph

Think about it if that information got into the hands of the wrong person......
shocked.gif

J

jesse

50 dollars holy thats expensive. Considering you can get a much larger tiger salamander for the same price or cheaper.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!