Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Blue spotted diet

M

matthew

Hey everybody,
I recently ordered some texas barred sallies in the mail and breeder was a little late on getting me the animals so he threw in (not literally) a blue spotted salamander as a bonus. He seems to be doing well but I don't know what he is eating?? I have offered him pill bugs, all types of worms and larvae, and they end up becoming bunk mates with him instead of meals....so I keep removing them and feeding to a different tank. He is in good health and is pretty active....but I just don't know how with out eating. Please give me some advice!

J

joan

How long have you had it? I'd keep offering food. If the food is living happily in the tank, just leave it there. He may eat it while you're not watching (such as at night, when they're more active).

C

crysta

I feed my A. laterale when they come out, in the dark with a dim lamp, they don't like the light too much. When they come out either drop the food in front of them, or to the side two of three inches away. My A. laterale will take food from forceps(Big tweezers) as well.
Mine feed on;
Meal worms
Roaches (Lobsters and B. lateralis)
Small worms or night crawlers chopped up.
Slug (occasional)

-Good luck

~Crysta

D

dane

hey cool!!! another Wisconsinite
crazy.gif
, but I agree with Michael, small worms

J

jesse

I've raised Blue Spotted salamanders for eight years now. Mine eat earthworms almost exclusively and are all hand fed. My newest and smallest would not even look at food when I first got him. All I did was keep the terrarium damp and leave him be. I tryed once a week after about a month he was finally hungry enough to eat. Another thing I noticed with Blue Spotteds is that wild caught adults sometimes have a hard time adjusting to captivity.

Herptiles

Reaction score
My Blue Spotted (A. laterale) that I've had for several years (almost 5 years old, captive bred) has been thriving on a mixed diet of crickets, mealworms, butterworms, nightcrawler chunks, small hornworms, silkworms and the occasional waxworms. S/He's alert and prowls somewhat at night (hides under bark and moss during the day), sits and waits for something to be dropped next to or walk by him/her.

creekcritter

Reaction score
cb

A. laterale cb? by who and where? can you supply more details on this ? to call it rare is an understatement.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!