Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Not a tough question

D

dane

does anyone out there know if I could house a full sized blue spotted with a full sized spotted? I know blues are around 5 inches long and im not sure what spotteds get(maybe 6 or 7 inches?)

K

kaysie

Normally, species mixing is a big no-no. But I think it would be acceptable in this case if you had a big enough tank, and both were collected from the same area.

I occasionally find these two species under the same log in the wild. They have similar ranges, and almost identical care requirements.

D

dane

yep, that was my thought, they are around the same length, live together(basicly) and have the same requirments

should probably just keep can eye on them for a while in the beggening

C

cameron

These two species are known to hybridize in the wild so if you put them together they could end up mating. Otherwise they would probably like each other because of this and I guess it would be okay.

K

kaysie

Cameron, I've never known these species to hybridize. There are no spotted salamander genes within the Jefferson/Laterale complex. Nor do spotted salamanders breed in captivity.

C

cameron

I just read that they hybridize in a book and they had a large hybrid range. I thought it was weird at first because they weren't related. So I guess the book is wrong. Sorry.

K

kaysie

Cameron, that's Jefferson's salamanders and Blue Spotted salamanders, not spotted salamanders.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!