Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Raising Ambysomid eggs? help please

K

kiley

I just aquired some salamander eggs, most likely jeffersons or bluespotted, out of a vernal pool where I heard woodfrogs calling. They are assumed to have been layed last night. I need to know how to raise them to metamorphosis. Right now they are being stored in the water they were found in. Is aged tap water ok? How many can be kept per gallon? How deep should the water be? How often and what should they be fed...are tubifex worms ok? Vegitation and filtration? I have kept many tadpoles and frog eggs successfully over the years but this is my first attempt at salamanders so I am new to the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, can and should they be kept with woodfrog eggs. I have some woodfrog eggs that were found in the same pool and right now they are all being stored together?
Also, how long should they take to metamorphose and how big should they be. I found an adult bluespotted sally, possibly a jefferson hybrid near the pond so I can be pretty sure that is what they are.
Thanks

L

luke

Well, I actually just started raising blue spotteds this year, so I'm no expert, but here goes.
Keep them maintained similarly to how you wouldfrog eggs, I prefer the biological filtration over mecahnical until the larvae really get going.
They will take longer than frogs, a lot longer. So don't worry about taking too long. After they hatch, they have that little period of youlk sack feeding, and then they go looking for food. I prefer daphnia because I don't have access to blackworms and I don't like the mess of brine, but I guess thats a personbal opinion.
ok thats it

E

ester

Don't forget a lid once the larvae are close to morphing. They're much better escape artists than frogs. Scaling a vertical glass wall is no problem.

J

joan

Are you trying to raise all of the egg mass? What do you plan on doing with them when they morph?

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!