Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Long Toed Again..

Z

zachary

Hey everyone-

So i got my friend long toeds (3 of them) and I have them in a container with about 3 inches of top soil, lots of bark to hide under and some live moss. Now they are alot smaller than I thought they would be, like I think robust when I think of a mole salamander but they are like 4 inches long (which that did not surprise me) and alittle thicker then an average red back salamander I find around home. So the question is the feeding. I do not think the small crickets at my local pet shops are small enough to fit in their mouths, but I am going to try to see that soon. So I would like to know the best website for pinheads or flightless fruit flies, if at all possible from anyone. Thanks!

J

jennifer

I would suggest earthworms cut into pieces. I know this sounds gross if you've never done it, but this is the best possible food, and easier/cheaper to obtain than pinheads or FFs!
See:
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms.shtml
http://www.caudata.org/cc/articles/worms2.shtml

For a terrestial sal, what works well is to place some cut-up pieces on the soil in front of the sal, then walk away (if they are shy). You can check back later and see exactly how much was eaten. It helps if the pieces are large enough to wiggle, but small enough that they can't crawl away.

Z

zachary

Thanks Jen, I think that I will try this method tonite, cause I ordered the crickets yesterday and it would def. be a hassle to do that every week. I'll let you guys know how they do, I am gonna take some pics to put up.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!