Long Toed...

Z

zachary

Hey guys--

Long time no post. I am at school, UConn, right now and I have my tiger salamanders up here illegally with me
happy.gif
and my friend from home is wanting to get rid of his 2 or 3 long toed salamanders. And I was wondering what was a good setup for them?

I was thinking a plastic shoe box type deal, easier to hide from the dreaded residential assistants. And I was thinkin top soil substrate, like I have for my tigers, and I have a lot of cork bark for hides, so that is no big deal. I was just, actually wondering 3 questions:

(1) Is top soil fine, or should I mix in
peat moss or something else with it?
(2) Should I have a water dish?
(3) Any one have pictures of their setups,
if anyone is keeping long toeds?

Thanks everybody!

Most ambystomatids can be kept in the general dirt setup. I never used a water dish. As long as you keep the substrate moist (just like a tiger). I'm sure if I dug around I could find one of my old pics if you want, but set them up just like you would for your tiger.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back