Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Opacum Substrate

A

alex

What are the opinions of peat moss as a substrate? I keep my A.Opacum on a mixture of peat moss and soil without perlite and he seems to be doing fine. Thanks

E

edward

I would not recommend using peat as a long term substrate for opacum. While it may work for you now, different batches of peat can have very different pHs resulting in different results with the animals living on it.

Ed

E

edward

Hi Mike,
If I remember correctly there were a couple but this one summarizes the data pretty well
Bille, Thomas; 2000, Microhabitat utilization of the Mexican salamander, Pseudoeurycea leprosa, Journal of Herpetology, 34(4): 588-590

Ed

E

edward

Hi Mike,
No, unfortunately I don't have access to Ecology unless I go downtown, pay parking and use the Academy of Natural Sciences library (where last I heard it was twenty cents a page (single sided) for photocopies.
I have to wait until I get a bunch of OT again.

Ed

W

william

hi,
sorry to dig u an old post but it seemed better then starting up a new one! i'm keeping mine on a thin (so i can keep track of them!) layer of coco fibre with a few bundles of sphangum moss on top to make humid areas. there are also pieces of bark for them to hide under. i was wondering if the coco fibre would be too acidic for them to breed in if it is i'll change to leaf mold and topsoil.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!