Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A. maculatum morphs

justin

Reaction score
Has anyone had much experience with feeding these guys after they morph? I didn't see a care sheet devoted to this particular species. I have about a dozen that will be morphing in the next few months and would like some input on their dietary needs. I already have some very small mealworms (<1cm) and pin-head crickets.

Thanks

E

edward

white worms, pinheads and ffs are all good starter foods.

Ed

justin

Reaction score
Thanks, that's what I was hoping for. How big are these guys before they usually morph? I suppose I could look it up in Petranka's book, but would like to hear from someone who has raised them in a captive environment first-hand.

P

paris

they morph pretty small but are usually eager eaters, its been 6 years or more since i did mine so im trying to remember right, i think they morphed about 2 inches, mine ate small crix exclusively

J

jennifer

Mine were also about 2 inches at morph. They were very shy and wouldn't eat if I was watching. I fed them by placing a pile of chopped (still wiggling) worm pieces near their hiding place and then leaving the room. Based on the disappearance of the worm bits and the growth of the juveniles, this appeared to work quite well, and gave me the peace of mind to know that they were eating.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!