Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

ID marbled vs spotted larvae

K

k.

The Virginia Herpetological Society conducted its annual spring survey in June 3-5 at a wildlife refuge where both spotted and marbled salamanders have been documented. Numerous Ambystoma larvae were observed. I saw quite a few myself and identified them as marbled salamanders, going entirely by the row of ventral white spots. I had just learned that two of the larvae were taken back and raised through metamorphosis and they are now exhibiting yellow spots. I have no pictures of the metamorph to post, but I do have a picture of one of the larvae found there in the survey (which is not the best for identification, but was determined to be a spotted salamander at the time, I have no pictures of the larvae that we consider to be marbleds). I am concerned about our identification of the salamander larvae, I feel certain with the ventral row of white spots characteristic of marbleds. It was rather late in the season for the marbleds to be so small, but we have had such a cool spring everything was coming out later than usual.

My question for the forum is how easy is it to confuse marbled and spotted salamander larvae? Has anyone seen spotted salamander larvae with a row of white spots on its ventrum?

Pictures from the spring meeting
http://fwie.fw.vt.edu/VHS/2005springmeeting.htm
btw: There is a GPS unit under my shirt giving it a funny look.

38926.jpg

J

joan

Love the pictures, but, in the last one, was the turtle okay? lol.

K

k.

Once again Mike, that was great information. I'll just have to start looking at the throat for sure. I will contact the guy with the metamorphs and see if he remembers what the others were.

Thanks!

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!