Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

A gracile egg/larvae photos

P

paris

here are some pics of my A graciles, the egg mass was about bigger than the size of my hand-here it was a few days after i got it, very green and healthy
34732.jpg

here is a close up, you can see those on the outer part are the most developed
34733.jpg

as they advanced many on the inside-which were fertile-died, possibly due to less oxygen the received on the inside of the jelly, i made a decision after 1/2 had died to cut out the good ones-to remove the eggs from the jelly. here is a photo of a dejellied egg
34734.jpg

here are photos of those both in and out of eggs
34735.jpg

34736.jpg

all have hatched now and i have 14 larvae, more photos to follow as the little ones grow up

R

russ

Were you oxygenating the water during development? Being in the middle of the mass shouldn't be hazardous.

RUSS

P

paris

no-this is the first time in 6 years ive had a jelly mass to raise (before it was a spotted sal mass-had alot of success with that one but it was more advanced when i got it) so i did them the same way. since these come from vernal pools i wasnt sure if too much oxygen would be a bad idea (or if the flow would jostle the eggs too much), its pretty new to me. i put them in a shallow dish, to make use of lots of surface area for oxygen exchange, and enough water to cover the mass, i lost some of the ones on the outside too, im sure there is a way to get higher yield.

H

henk

Well Paris I was'n able to raise any that were shipped to me now about 6 years ago and during a trip we also collected one at Trillium Lake ,but it got bad almost instantly the day after (despite much ice packs).

Nice to see you can handle it since this are truly majestic animals !

P

paris

yes-a very under-estimated and under-represened sal! one book i have calls them 'the salamander that thinks its a toad'....

P

pamela

Way too cool Paris! These are definitely one of my favorites! Thanks.
happy.gif

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!