Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

CB longtoeds 2003

H

henk

Here's a shot of a CB longtoed from 2003. Ready for reproduction in the coming year or maybe the year there after...

24271.jpg

H

henk

No Russ, they are nominate subspecies, originating from Eugene , Oregon.
Have tried to get others , but so far without much luck...

H

henk

Don't have any scientific explanation at had but I think it is easier telling that they are Ambystoma macrodactylum macrodactylum and not another subspecies.

R

russ

I had some from near Eugene a few years ago, but they were much more green (forest green). Odd thing I noticed was the small size they retained as adults compared to specimens I had maintained from CA, ID and MT. As a matter of fact, they only reached a total of about 4 inches compared to 7 or 8 from other locales.

RUSS

H

henk

Hai Russ, now you surprise me ... 7 to 8 inch for longtoeds ?? Mine are indeed in the range of 4 to 4,5 inch and that's alos the size I found them in when visitng the area. An no, I didn't bring them home from that trip.. I had the animals prior to the trip... in fact I did part of the trip to see thair habitat so that could adjust my tanks accordingly, which owrked out well.
In 2004 I again bred them, which was the 7th time on a row and I hope to continue doing so.
I ever somebody would find eggs of the other longtoeds I would be interested in trying to rear them up here. I'm not interested in getting wildcaught animals, but some eggsclumps on some waterweeds might just work well.

R

russ

No bull. The biggest I've seen was from just outside the front gate to Lassen NP in northern CA, a full 8 inches (pictured). But over 6 seems to be not uncommon in the Rockies.

RUSS

28286.jpg

H

henk

Well the colors on this species certainly seems to be quite different from the ones I have ...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!