Caudata.org: Newts and Salamanders Portal

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!
Did you know that registered users see fewer ads? Register today!

Mole sals - photo's from class

P

paris

one of my subjects for my biological illustration course was Ambystoma talpoideum -commonly called the mole salamander. these are small but very chunky salamanders. here is my final project on them: (one pic isnt in great focus-but it was used to show composition requirement)
17604.jpg

17605.jpg

17606.jpg

17607.jpg

17608.jpg

17609.jpg

17610.jpg

17611.jpg

here are the 2 i included in my 'best' project
17612.jpg

17613.jpg

H

henk

Well Paris, seeing from the quality of the images you have a new digital camera or used one from somebody else ??

Nice pictures and I love those chunky little guys. Have been trying to get my hands on some for a while but failed to do so...

P

paris

yeah henk-i borrowed a school camera for the course. my own digital cam has a better lense (10 x) but the pixels are 1 MP and the ones for these pics are 3 MP -which gives a better print/image. here is the break down:
VGA resolution cameras -web/e mail quality -small image
1 MP 3 x 5 print
2-3 MP 5 x 7 print
3-4 MP 8 x 10 print
5-6 MP 13 x 19 print -or images from print parts
so my digital camera has a better lense (10x -as opposed to the 6x that these were shot with) but the resolution of the images is less. these pics had the benefit of being shot in a studio setting with excellent light -better light definitely makes better pictures. i have read the manual on my digi cam and hope that since i have learned these techniques i can produce better pictures in the future (i can always borrow the student camera again) but if i am limited by time or light i will take pictures about the same as i used to.

H

henk

Yep it takes some time and study sometimes, but these are great shots Paris... they look nice and big and handshaking close (I wish).
In terms of composition I especially like the 3rd last one.

J

john

Paris, the second image from the bottom (with the white background), what did you use to get that nice white background?

P

paris

plate of glass across 2 cinder blocks with white paper under it (way under to prevent shadows) and 2 lights from behind.

P

pamela

Lovely pics and lovely subjects. I love their markings. I wish I could take decent pictures..oh well.

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
    There are no messages in the chat. Be the first one to say Hi!