Ambystoma opacum

Z

zachary

Hey everyone-

I am getting 3 more marbled salamanders in a week or two and I was just wondering if anyone could help me with an enclosure. I currently have 3 already and they are in a plastic box that measures around around 18"x25"x6"(estimated). Their susbtrate is soil mixed with some of that bed-a-beast type substrate from petco, the depth is around 3inches. I have 4 pieces of drift wood which they always hide under. I feed them 15-20 crickets weekly, or biweekly. I wanted to know if anyone has any ideas for my new guys. I have alot of fake plants I could put in, would they appreciate them or should i just stick to the same sort of enclosure as my others??

Thanks for any input/advice!

Where are receiving your Opacums from because that could give you a basis to setup their tank.

Did you get them from a supplier? If so please tell as I'm currently looking for one or two of them myself.
biggrin.gif

Depending upon the sex ratio, they could just as easily be housed in a large sweater box with several hiding spots for each salamander.
Ed

I agree with Chris, i've been looking for a few opacum myself.

the sweaterbox idea is always great, thats how i keep my A. jeffersonianum.

Ambystoma opacum

I had a trio of these recently come through my house, I swapped them for some geckos.

But now I'm regretting the swap, I may try to buy them back......

heck, maybe, I'll just sell the geckos too....

ANYWAY! Can these oddball breeders on the dry ground be breed in captivity. I've been to a dozen sites, every site was some sort of "state" site, and mentioned NOTHING of breeding in captivity....

Anyone know about this?

I gotta go kick the oscar in the butt, he is playing with the thermometer in his tank again...

Sharon

yeah tye have been bred in captivity , if you visit caudata central or search on the posts then youll find it...

General chit-chat
Help Users
  • No one is chatting at the moment.
  • Shane douglas:
    with axolotls would I basically have to keep buying and buying new axolotls to prevent inbred breeding which costs a lot of money??
    +1
    Unlike
  • Thorninmyside:
    Not necessarily but if you’re wanting to continue to grow your breeding capacity then yes. Breeding axolotls isn’t a cheap hobby nor is it a get rich quick scheme. It costs a lot of money and time and deditcation
    +1
    Unlike
  • stanleyc:
    @Thorninmyside, I Lauren chen
    +1
    Unlike
  • Clareclare:
    Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus Japanese . I'm raising them and have abandoned the terrarium at about 5 months old and switched to the aquatic setups you describe. I'm wondering if I could do this as soon as they morph?
    +1
    Unlike
    Clareclare: Would Chinese fire belly newts be more or less inclined towards an aquatic eft set up versus... +1
    Back